Sunday, April 21, 2013

Coconut Quinoa Granola

I happen to love quinoa. I love it's flexibility in recipes, it's healthy, grainy taste that makes you feel almost instantly healthy. It feels good to nourish your body, doesn't it? When I recently found this recipe on Running to the Kitchen, I knew quinoa would work as a snack too. We're definitely a granola group in my home, sprinkling it on yogurt, bringing it to work as a snack, and as a pre-workout snack. Homemade granola is so simple and will last you through the week. I recommend you try it!


Ingredients
adapted from Running to the Kitchen

3/4 c. uncooked quinoa
1/2 c. unsweetened coconut flakes
2 c. old fashioned oats
1 c. finely chopped medjool dates
1 c. finely chopped nuts (I used almonds)
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
3 tbsp. honey
3 tbsp. melted coconut oil



Method

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all the dry ingredients (quinoa, oats, nuts, cinnamon, salt) in a large bowl, then add coconut oil and honey, tossing until combined. After spreading onto a large baking sheet in a thin layer, bake for 12-15 minutes. Check on granola and flip lightly with a spatula, clusters are okay. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes then store in airtight containers. This granola is especially tasty with a dollop of Greek yogurt and a sliced banana.



There you are, another way to use quinoa! Don't be deceived by the bird food-esque appearance, this stuff keeps a full grown husband energized!

1 comment:

  1. momscorner1@yahoo.comApril 22, 2013 at 8:53 PM

    Take it from me, this is delicious; I have eaten it! The coconut is the topping on the quinoa granola!! It is also nutritious and filling, nice.

    ReplyDelete