Tuesday, January 22, 2013

DIY Clif Bars

I have been eating Clif, Lara, Raw, and pretty much any kind of healthy date based bars for quite some time. If you're also a fan, you'd know that the soft nutritious goodness that you enjoy with the first bite and lasts through the entire snack. These days, a Clif Bar or Larabar may cost you up to a $1.25 a piece and while I wish I could tell you I calculated the money I've saved down to the homemade bar, I can tell you that they're worth every penny. My 8 x 8 pan made about 6-8 bars, but they lasted about one and a half days. They are great for breakfast, pre-workout snacking, post workout snacking, and anything in between.


Ingredients:

2 cups diced medjool (pitted) dates
1/2 c. dark chocolate chips
1/2 c. peanut butter
1/4 c. crushed pecans


Method:

Cover your 8 x 8 pan with a piece of parchment paper, leaving about 3" on each side. Next cut your thinly diced dates and peanut butter in your Kitchenaid or food processor on medium to high speed in order to thoroughly combine them with the peanut butter. Add chocolate chips and spoon into your 8 x 8 pan, then press with your hands into all corners. Cover with the remaining parchment paper and leave in the refrigerator for at least three hours. Slice and enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. momscorner1@yahoo.comJanuary 23, 2013 at 6:59 PM

    A simple,nutritious snack with very little preparation,sweet! I like the presentation,very nice. I guess I will be busy in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete