Thursday, November 22, 2012

Pesto Kale Pasta

Just a quick post before Turkey Day! I made my Nigella Lawson's Rosemary Cake today, and can't wait to share it with you! Tonight I've been thinking about how thankful I am for everything I have. A simple phrase, but I feel it from the bottom of my little heart. Let us think about our gifts and blessings on Thanksgiving, as in every day!

The other night I whipped up a quick pasta dish with some kale we picked up. I also wanted to try and make a sauce from some whole tomatoes I picked up at Trader Joe's. Once they were seasoned with some garlic and Italian herbs, and the kale cooked down a bit, it was a lovely dish for a chilly, rainy, night.


Ingredients:


4 cups of fresh kale

2 cups of fresh spinach
4 whole cooked tomatoes, skin removed
1 lb. whole wheat pasta, any type
1/2 c. pesto
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. Italian seasoning: basil, oregano, parsley
1 tsp. garlic salt
Pecorino Romano grated cheese, to taste

Method:


In a large sauce pan, combine olive oil, tomatoes, spinach, and kale. Allow to saute for about 5 minutes, then add seasonings and continue to saute.  





Add tomatoes and let simmer for about 10-15 minutes, until kale and spinach cook down. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to directions.





Once pasta and vegetables are completely cooked, combine in large saucepan with pesto and mix well. Add grating cheese, if desired, and dish it up! A quick, nutritious, and filling dinner, all less in thirty minutes! Who can argue with that, my friends?



Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment