Monday, August 20, 2012

Cranberry Coconut Peanut Butter Bars



If it’s one thing I learned from all our childhood road trips, it is to bring snacks. While a simple enough idea, you have no clue how badly you need said snack until you’re stuck : a.in traffic, b.on a mountain pass. That’s all you need to know, dear readers. And because I’m not feeling particularly witty, getting up at 5:30 will do that to you, here goes my very original, granola bar recipe. I hope you will enjoy them, and I hope they will prevent you from eating that cracker you find in your glove compartment.

Ingredients:
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. whole oats
3 tbsp. natural peanut butter
2 tbsp. honey
3/4 c. dried cranberries
1/4 tsp. sea salt
2 tbsp. wheat germ
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 c. non-fat or soy milk
1 c. unsweetened coconut
Optional: 1/2 c. chocolate chips or cocoa nibs

Mix peanut butter, wheat germ, flour, oats, and salt in a stand mixer on medium high. Pour in cranberries, coconut, and vanilla extract. Depending on how moist your dough is, you may not need the full amount of milk. You want the dough to stick, but not be sticky, if that makes sense!

Image

Spread in a 9×13 pan, and bake at 350 for 15 minutes, long enough for the edges to become golden brown.

Image

Don’t be surprised if your energy, work ethic, and general attitude improve!


4 thoughts on “Cranberry Coconut Peanut butter Bars

  1. I find this particular blog post quite witty. My general attitude has improved upon simply reading this delightful recipe.
  2. I love this recipe and I will try them! I like your wisdom and hints; I can tell that you are a great baker!! I also like the new photos of the countryside and I hope that the following grows.

No comments:

Post a Comment