Monday, August 20, 2012

One for the Table


I don’t know if anyone knows this, but Nora Ephron is an idol of mine. She was a hilarious feminist; a pioneer in screenwriting. She wrote a few treasures such as, (you may have heard of them),You’ve Got MailWhen Harry Met SallySleepless in Seattle, and Julie and Julia. Plainly put, she was a rockstar. She also said, in an NPR interview, ”You can never have too much butter – that is my belief. If I have a religion, that’s it.” Glorious.
Anyways, the other day, I was recently searching the internet for some culinary magazines and blogs that I was hoping to send in recipes for and stumbled across One for the Table. It had a blurb saying that it was created by Amy Ephron. Instantly, I remembered that Nora Ephron had had a few sisters, just like myself. Three younger sisters, to be exact. After doing a little more research, I did see that Amy was in fact Nora’s sister. Magical!
Clicking around, I saw that the restaurant review section for Washington consisted of only one restaurant review, in Spokane. Nothing on Seattle eats! So, I sent in my little review on Urban Family Public House to One for the Table and was later contacted by Lisa, their editor, to say that they would include my review in their Washington state section, and would love other contributions from me as well.
Needless to say, a little bitty dream of mine came true. I’m not saying that I’m a fabulous writer, I’m not saying I’m talented. I think I just appreciate good food, good drink, and nice places, and I like to put all these thoughts down. To have them read by someone that has a connection to someone as wonderful as Ms. Ephron, just checks off a little box on my Bucket List that I never knew I had.  So here’s to you, Nora Ephron, I know you’re looking down on your sisters, I know you enjoyed good food, and I know you loved life. And I can appreciate that.




No comments:

Post a Comment